activation process of activated carbon
EPC solution with ISO/CE certification
Application: apply for coal activated carbon and wood activated carbon and nut shell activated carbon.
what is activation?
The activation process is a section after the carbonization process in a complete activated carbon production line. in a word, the activation process imparts activity to the carbon particles, allowing the carbon to form a porous micro-crystalline structure with a well-developed surface area.
Why activation is important?
Activated carbon is a hot-sale and well-known absorption material in our daily life, it is widely used in many fields like food, medicine, chemistry, metallurgy, water treatment, environmental protection industries, etc.
The diameter of micropores on the surface of activated carbon is mostly between 2 and 50 nm. Even a small amount of activated carbon has a huge surface area. The surface area of each gram of activated carbon is 500 to 1500 m2. Almost all applications of activated carbon are based on this feature of activated carbon.
By appearance, activated carbon can be divided into columnar activated carbon, granular activated carbon, powder activated carbon, honeycomb activated carbon, etc.; By raw materials, the common types of wood activated carbon currently on the market are roughly coconut shell, apricot shell, walnut shell, hawthorn shell , peach shell, macadamia nut shell, palm shell, charcoal and other materials that can produce activated carbon, but no matter which type of activated carbon, it needs to be activated at high temperature to achieve its adsorption performance.
what AGICO CEMENT offer?
AGICO CEMENT is a rotary kiln supplier from China. Our main product is rotary kiln that applies to many fields, such as cement, chemicals, activated carbon, and other industries. Based on the core technique of activated carbon rotary kiln, we can supply activated carbon production and its single section, such as the carbonization process, activation process, and regeneration process.
our activated carbon making machinery
The activation equipment adopts an automatic control system. The furnace body of the activation rotary kiln is mainly composed of a silo, a hoist, a feeder, a furnace body, a refractory material, a rotating device, a temperature measuring device, an activation device, a PLC control cabinet, a cooling device, and a settling chamber, boiler, fan, dust removal device.
activation kiln is the core of activation process and plays the role of activating material. we supplies electric rotary kiln and rotary kiln with other fired methods.
|1.9m* 10m||8-10||Self-balancing of material without thermal energy|
some auxiliary equipment is required in the activation process, such as feeder, burner, heat exchanger, waste heat steam boiler, etc.
|Materials||Hard wood material||induced draft fan||Power: 20KW, air volume of 20000 ㎡/h, wind pressure: 1300MP|
|Carbonized material||Moisture <1%, particle size:1-10cm, ash content<5%||Feed way||hoist or screw feeder|
|Activated carbon||Iodine value＞ 1100mg/g|
|Carbonization conditions||Saturated superheated steam + high temperature + penetration activation|
|gas composition||Water, carbon dioxide, and carbohydrates|
|out-feeding temperature||360-400℃||dusting method||Cyclone collector, bag filter, spray device|
|temperature behind the cooler||<50℃||Cooling method||Converter natural cooling tube, external cooling water bath converter|
|quantity of steam||1.5-3t/h||Refractory materials||steel fiber reinforced castable, high alumina refractory brick|
|steam pressure||6kg||Insulation thickness||＞40cm|
|steam flow||1.5-2.5t/h||Aluminum content of resistant material||＞45%|
|flue gas temperature at inlet||800-950℃||maximum temperature of resistant material||＞1300℃|
|Furnace temperature||850-1050℃||gas amount||10,000 m3/h|
|Flue gas incinerator temperature||800-950℃||temperature sensing thermocouple||Unit:3, Heat-resistant: 1200℃|
we provide one-stop service for every client, including reply within 24 hours, online customer service, customization service, spare parts service and after-sales service.
spare parts service
We master the most advanced activated carbon manufacturing industry technology.
We provide a comprehensive service of technology and funding required for the project.
We have established 200+ successful activated carbon production line cases.
strong production capacity
We have the ability to produce activated carbon production equipment of various scales.
Our activation plant can be used for making coconut shell activated carbon, activated carbon for fruit shell, coal particle activated carbon for water purification, activated carbon in sewage treatment, activated carbon with wood powder, coal powder activated carbon, special activated carbon for treatment of organic waste gas, activated carbon for gold, honeycomb activated carbon, etc.
activated charcoal Activation process
- Firstly, carbonize various raw materials, then sieve out the fine powder below 2mm of the carbonized material, and the moisture content is required to be <15%.
- Then， feed the material into the elevator, and then lift it into the top feeding silo. The material is evenly fed into the kiln from the top feeding silo through the frequency conversion feeder. The waste heat temperature in the rotary kiln must reach above 800 ℃ before feeding.
- Next, an appropriate amount of oxygen needs to be fed into the kiln through the fan, and then the steam is turned on to feed the kiln. Feed an appropriate amount of steam into the kiln to activate the material. Each ton of finished activated carbon needs to send 2 tons of steam into the kiln. The steam at this time cannot be used as diffusion steam, otherwise, the efficiency and quality is not high.
- The material gradually enters the carbonization preheating and heating zone with the rotation of the kiln body, and enters the material activation zone when the temperature of the material reaches about 800 ℃. At this time, the time when the material is in contact with the water vapor is called “activation time”, and the activation time will be different according to the temperature and oxygen supply, about 25-40 minutes, that is, the material rotates at a speed of 6 meters per hour.
- When the material enters the cooling section, it enters the discharge pipe of the kiln body. The temperature is about 500-600 °C. When the temperature is gradually lowered to 200 °C through the discharge pipe, the material will automatically slide to another cooling device outside the kiln body. After about 3 minutes of anaerobic cooling time, the activated material has reached normal temperature, about 30-40 ℃,
- Finally, the cooled material naturally slides into the prepared ton bag (each bag can hold tons), when the bag is full, the material can be displaced by a manual pressure forklift.
The kiln tail is equipped with a settling chamber, which has four functions, one is to preheat the waste heat boiler in advance, the other is to settle the dust, the third is to stop the steam after the furnace is stopped to prevent the pipes from freezing in cold areas, and the fourth is to burn unclean smoke again, reducing black rock and making full use of the heat that the flue gas becomes.
A steam waste heat boiler is equipped behind the settling chamber, and the high-temperature exhaust gas (about 800°C) is used to generate steam from the labor waste heat boiler to activate the material.
The back of the boiler is equipped with an induced draft fan, which is used to pump the high-temperature exhaust gas in the boiler to the waste heat boiler, and the exhaust gas is sent to the bag pulse dust collector for discharge up to the standard. The output varies according to different materials and quality requirements. The following table is for reference:
|Name（Carbonized material）||Iodine adsorption value(GB standard)||methylene blue||water content||Yield||Daily output(t/h)|
|Apricot Shell Charcoal||＞1000||＞10||＜3||:1|
activated charcoal activation plant cost
|Forklift truck fuel consumption||30Yuan／d|
|Manager cost||100 Yuan／d|
|comprehensive costs||1200-1000 Yuan／d|
|Daily output||According to the calculation of 3 tons of activated carbon, the average production per ton of activated carbon processing cost 340 to 400 yuan.|
|dimensions of building||7 meters high x 8 meters wide x 50 meters|
|Power supply for a single set of equipment||> 30 kilowatts|
|equipment operation||4 persons (including maintenance workers)|
|Equipment installation cycle (single set)||30days|
|Equipment production cycle||40days|
|Equipped with laboratory||1 (10 m2)|
|Equipped with control room||1（6m2）|